Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Who talks like that?

There are all these dumb quizzes on Facebook that ask many questions that should 'reveal' something about yourself that you may not have been aware of before.  I'm not really sure what you're supposed to learn or get out of this inane knowledge, but I see many of the questions are similar to those you might encounter in a professional ice breaking session.  I've always hated them as they tend to make me overanalyze things, which is something I can (and will) do on my own w/o needing a question to prompt it. 
One of the questions asked wants to know what my pet peeve is.  It's not the first time I've been asked and I usually come up with a common, normal response that probably isn't all together true, but fits the bill.  Well, I've come up with a unique pet peeve.  Using someone's last name when intimately addressing them.  Like in a romance novel: "I love you, John Smith" or even just in normal conversation.  While watching Mad Men last weekend Betty chastises her daughter Sally at a formal dinner.  "Sally Draper!"  It was then, I guess that I realized how irritated I am by it.  I can't say that it will cause me to stop watching Mad Men ('cuz damn, that's a good show)- maybe they talked that way in the fifties. However, in 2010 dialogue, it makes me cringe. It has caused me to boycott beloved writer to many, Janet Evanovich (her atrocious writing, boring subject matter, and repetition also contributes to this decision).
Maybe it's just me.  Maybe I'm just jealous since I don't exactly have a name that rolls sweetly off the tongue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment